4:00pm - Boys Golf vs Chatham/Lincoln/Springfield JV @ The Rail, dismiss at 3:00 pm
4:00pm - Boys Varsity Soccer vs Lanphier High School (Crusader Classic @ Lutheran High School) – Bus leaves 3:55
7:00pm - Varsity Football @ New Berlin High School – Bus leaves 4:45pm
Varsity Volleyball @ Sangamon County Tournament @ Pawnee - TIME T.B.A.
9:45am - Cross Country @ Springfield High School (@ Lincoln Park) – bus leaves 8:15am
11:00am - Boys Varsity Golf @ Sangamon County Tournament @ Lincoln Greens – Van leaves at 9:45am
11:00am - Boys Varsity Soccer @ Pekin High School (+ JV) – bus leaves 9:00am
Class Dues are collected every year by class sponsors in lieu of fundraisers. Money collected is used to pay for the Junior Class Prom and the Senior Trip. It is not collected in registration and should be paid directly to a class sponsor.
· Freshmen – Class of 2019 Class Dues – Pay $20 dues by October 1 to: Mr. Beard, Mr. Martens, Mrs. Whitten, Mrs. Beard
· Sophomores – Class of 2018 Class Dues – Pay $20 dues to: Mrs. Walsh
· Juniors – Class of 2017 Class Dues – Pay $20 dues to: Mrs. Sturgeon
School Picture Retakes are scheduled for October 2, 2015
Girls basketball open gyms are on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays after school until 4:45 for anybody interested in playing this year. Participants cannot be involved in a fall sport
Class Color Day and Chamber t-shirts are on sale NOW!! Order forms can be picked up in the office or from Mrs. Walsh. All orders are due by beginning of school Wednesday, September 30. Return your orders and money to either Mrs. Walsh or Mr. Hampton. No extra shirts will be ordered!! Shirts are $10 each.
Soda Tabs: The Ronald McDonald House is collecting soda tabs and we need your help! Please collect at home and bring them to either Eli Reevis or Kaylee Nichols.
FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) will have their first meeting Thursday, Oct 1, at 7:30 AM in Mr. O'Connor's room. Come join us for free food, fellowship and to learn more about what FCA is. See Mrs. Russell or Mr. O'Connor if you have any questions.
Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors: The SportQuest Playing With Purpose Scholarship Program is
a national program that honors and encourages high school student
athletes who excel athletically, academically and have committed
their life to following Christ. Students who are varsity athletes and
demonstrate a Christian faith are encouraged to find more information at:www.playingwithpurpose.org.
Attention Sophomores: Registration is open for the HOBY Leadership Summer Conference. Sophomores chosen to attend this conference will develop hands-on leadership activities, meet leaders within our state, and explore personal leadership skills. Interested students must exibit outstanding communication skills, strong decision-making skills, charismatic personality, and have participation and/or interest in community service. WHS will choose two HOBY Ambassadors from the students who apply. Please see Mrs. Chladny or Mrs. Damery if you would like to apply. Deadline to apply is November 13th.
The AXA Achievement Scholarship is now available online at: https://us.axa.com/axa-
2015 Homecoming Parade Information
Date: Wednesday October 7
Time: Line up starts at 5 and step off is 6
Theme: Born to Be Wild
Grand Marshal: Don and Fran Williams
Same route as years prior. Parade will end behind the Middle School and parents will pick up there.
More information that will be important to parents:
We will have a drop off area again for the parents to let the children off and we will have High School volunteers take the children to their floats safely. They will enter at the south end of the "circle drive" in front of the High School and there will be a "station" at that south side for those riding a float and another station at the north side for walkers. The parents can drop off and go park. They may pick the children up behind the Middle School where we will have the floats park and parents come pick up there.
October 5 – October 9th - Homecoming Week - Dress Up Days:
Tuesday: Duo, Trio, Quad, Squad
Wednesday: Class Color
Thursday: Spirit Day
Friday: No School
Community Service Opportunities
· Lincoln Memorial Gardens is having their Indian Summer Festival on Saturday, October 10, 2015, and Sunday, October 11, 2015. Volunteers will most likely be helping in the Children’s Area working with the crafts and games, and shifts are 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. both days. If anyone is interested, please see Mr. Martens.
· Capitol Radio Group is sponsoring Zoolie Ghoulie at Henson Robinson Zoo from 4:00-8:00 p.m. on Friday, October 23, 2015, and 1:00-5:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25, 2015. Volunteers will be passing out candy in the safe trick-or-treating event inside the zoo gates or working in the carnival area. Volunteers are also encouraged—but not required—to dress in costumes if they can. If anyone is interested, please see Mr. Martens.
· Volunteers are being sought to assist with the Sherman Holiday Wonderland, which will be hosted at the Sherman Athletic Club on Sunday, November 15, 2015. Proceeds from the Sherman Holiday Wonderland are put toward the Sharon Miller Scholarship. Volunteers will be needed on Sunday, November 15, 2015, helping venders unload from 7:00-9:00 a.m. and working the Welcome Table from 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., and additional volunteers are needed on Saturday, November 14, 2015, to help set up from 7:00-8:30 p.m. If anyone is interested, please see Mr. Martens.
· Sherman Elementary School library is looking for students to assist with re-shelving books and other tasks on a regular basis. Volunteers are needed before school from 7:30-8:00 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays and after school from 3:30-4:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Please see Mr. Martens if you are interested and/or have any questions.
· New! Sports Boosters are looking for some volunteers to help direct students once they are dropped off for the Homecoming Parade on Wednesday, October 7, 2015. Volunteers will need to report at 5:00 p.m. and will be needed for approximately an hour. Please see Mr. Martens if you are interested or have any other questions.