Lunch: Spaghetti with meat sauce or Italian meatball sandwich, strawberry spinach salad, ranch chick peas, diced peaches, cinnamon grahams, ½ pint of milk
There will be a meeting for any boys interested in going out for basketball on Thursday 9/17 during the last 10 minutes of each lunch in Miss Wernsing’s room. Please see Coach Beard if you are unable to attend.
Band Booster Meeting: Thursday, September 17th at 6:30 pm in the WHS band
room. All band parents are encouraged to attend.
4:00pm - JV Golf vs Auburn High School (JV @ The Rail )
4:30pm - Boys Varsity Soccer vs Pleasant Plains High School ( +JV)
4:00pm - Girls Varsity Golf @ Rochester/Auburn/Porta @ Shambolee – Van leaves 2:50, dismiss at 2:40
6:00pm - Freshman Football @ North-Mac – Bus leaves 4:00pm
Lunch: Cheese pizza or Pepperoni pizza, creamy coleslaw, buttered corn, diced mango, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie, ½ pint of milk
Captain’s Counsel Reminder: The 2015-2016 WHS Captain’s Counsel will be meeting again on Friday, September 18 starting at 7:40 am in Coach Halford’s room. Don’t forget to bring your “One Word” from last meeting. If you have any questions you can stop in and see Mr. Eucker in the db20150917 office.
3:30pm - Girls Varsity Golf vs Sacred Heart - Griffin High School (@ The Rail )
4:00pm – JV Boys Golf @ Country Hills, Van leaves at 2:45, dismiss 2:35
6:00pm - Varsity Volleyball vs Taylorville High School @ Mt. Pulaski Tournament – Bus leaves 4:30pm
7:00pm - Varsity Football vs Pleasant Plains High School
8:00pm - Varsity Volleyball vs Eureka High School @ Mt. Pulaski Tournament
9:00am - Boys Varsity Golf @ Havana Invite – Van leaves 6:30am
Freshman Volleyball @ Lutheran Freshman Tournament– Bus leaves 7:45am
· 9:00am - WHS vs. Lutheran High School
· 11:00am WHS vs Riverton
· 1:00pm – WHS vs North-Mac
10:00am - Cross Country @ Dunlap High School – Bus leaves 7:00am
10:00am - Varsity Volleyball vs St. Thomas More HS @ Mt. Pulaski Tournament – Bus leaves 8:30am
Class Dues are collected every year by class sponsors in lieu of fundraisers. Money collected is used to pay for the Junior Class Prom and the Senior Trip. It is not collected in registration and should be paid directly to a class sponsor.
· Freshmen – Class of 2019 Class Dues – Pay $20 dues by October 1 to: Mr. Beard, Mr. Martens, Mrs. Whitten, Mrs. Beard
· Sophomores – Class of 2018 Class Dues – Pay $20 dues to: Mrs. Walsh
· Juniors – Class of 2017 Class Dues – Pay $20 dues to: Mrs. Sturgeon
What do you want to be when you grow up? The Medical Explorers Post 998 gives area high school students the opportunity to seriously explore this question before they finish high school. The program is open to any local high school students between the ages of 14 and 20 and meets one to two evenings a month from September through May. An introductory kick-off meeting for the 2015-2016 Medical Explorers program will be held Thursday, September 17th at 6 pm in the West Auditorium on the 2nd floor of the 801 North Rutledge building.
Are you a student interested in a career in healthcare? The Memorial Explorer Post program is designed to educate high school students about the variety of career opportunities available in healthcare.
· Interested students and their parents should plan to attend the First Nighter Event (Registration) to learn more.
· First Nighter is October 8, 2015 at 6pm
· Memorial Medical Center for Learning and Innovation
· For additional information, please call 217-788-2177 or stop by the guidance office for an informational handout.
School Picture Retakes are scheduled for October 2, 2015
Girls basketball open gyms are on Monday, Wed, and Fridays after school until 4:45 for anybody interested in playing this year. Participants can not be involved in a fall sport
College Visits This Week:
· September 17th ISU
· September 18th Southeast Missouri State (SEMO)
Soda Tabs: The Ronald McDonald House is collecting soda tabs and we need your help! Please collect at home and bring them to either Eli Reevis or Kaylee Nichols.
Congrats to the boys golf team on winning 2 matches last night at Atlanta's North Greens golf course against Illini- Bluffs and Hartem. Scores were WHS 176, Illini- Bluffs -202, and Hartem-187. Individual scores were Jake Pennell 42 Medalist Tommy Sagins-44, Eli Reevis -45, Tucker Hirsch-45..
Community Service Opportunities
· Lincoln Memorial Gardens is having their Indian Summer Festival on Saturday, October 10, 2015, and Sunday, October 11, 2015. Volunteers will most likely be helping in the Children’s Area working with the crafts and games, and shifts are 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. both days. If anyone is interested, please see Mr. Martens.
· Capitol Radio Group is sponsoring Zoolie Ghoulie at Henson Robinson Zoo from 4:00-8:00 p.m. on Friday, October 23, 2015, and 1:00-5:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25, 2015. Volunteers will be passing out candy in the safe trick-or-treating event inside the zoo gates or working in the carnival area. Volunteers are also encouraged—but not required—to dress in costumes if they can. If anyone is interested, please see Mr. Martens.
· Volunteers are being sought to assist with the Sherman Holiday Wonderland, which will be hosted at the Sherman Athletic Club on Sunday, November 15, 2015. Proceeds from the Sherman Holiday Wonderland are put toward the Sharon Miller Scholarship. Volunteers will be needed on Sunday, November 15, 2015, helping venders unload from 7:00-9:00 a.m. and working the Welcome Table from 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., and additional volunteers are needed on Saturday, November 14, 2015, to help set up from 7:00-8:30 p.m. If anyone is interested, please see Mr. Martens.
· Sports Care is sponsoring the Women’s Biathlon on Sunday, September 20, 2015. Sports Care is looking for students who will help with the parking for the event, monitoring the course, working at the drink stations, and a variety of other functions. Volunteers will need to report for a volunteer meeting starting at 7:00 a.m. on the morning of the event inside Memorial Sport Care inside Kerasotes YMCA at 4550 W. Iles Ave. in Springfield, and they will need to bring the completed Volunteer Consent Form with you on the morning of the event. Please see Mr. Martens if you are interested or have any other questions.
· Sherman Elementary School library is looking for students to assist with re-shelving books and other tasks on a regular basis. Volunteers are needed before school from 7:30-8:00 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays and after school from 3:30-4:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Please see Mr. Martens if you are interested and/or have any questions.